Whether you want to learn more or are ready to leap into advocacy, there are many ways you can support a just peace in the Holy Land. On this page we have something for everyone....scroll down the page for lots of ideas!
SIGN UP FOR NEWS & ACTION
Just fill out our subscription form.
A good way to start getting informed and involved: learn about the latest campaigns and receive timely action alerts. There is a lot you can do from home!
See UMKR's monthly action alerts here.
LIKE US • FOLLOW US • SHARE US
Like us on Facebook Then click "Get Notifications" - see it in the menu under the "Liked" button – so you will get our latest news.
Follow us on Twitter The fastest, easiest way to get our most current alerts
Share our website Use the social media buttons on the right.
WORK TOGETHER WITH UNITED METHODISTS & ALLIES
Find others in your conference or region who are justice advocates for Israel/Palestine. There may be a conference task force or one about to get started. We may also know of allied groups that are active in your area. Find out if divestment legislation has been adopted in your conference or how you could get one passed. Contact us to find out what is happening in your region: email@example.com
SUPPORT OUR WORK WITH A DONATION
We depend on those who believe in our work to ensure it will continue. UMKR is an independent grassroots movement in our church that has grown remarkably since it began in 2010, but that would never have happened without supporters like you. Please take a moment to make an easy, quick and secure online donation. Remember, no donation is too small and whatever amount you are able to contribute will make you our superhero!
SUPPORT THE DIVESTMENT PETITION TO THE UMC PENSION BOARD: SIGN AND GET SIGNATURES
• Sign the Petition to the General Board of Pension and Health Benefits (GBPHB) asking them to divest from the Israeli occupation, if you are UMC clergy or an employee participating in the General Board's service.
• Collect Petition signatures from clergy in your conference - download our petition with sign up sheets- and send us what you collect. Or direct them to our website to sign the petition online.
SUPPORT THE BOYCOTT OF ISRAELI SETTLEMENTS
Download and use our boycott resources. You could:
• Arrange for our short boycott PowerPoint to be shown at your church, during a Sunday service or a meeting
• Use our insert/flyer in Sunday bulletins at your church or ask your pastor about using it
• Distribute information about the boycott, such as the Why Boycott the Settlements Brochure, in your church and call a meeting to discuss how members can support and grow the boycott.
BECOME AN ADVOCATE WITH
U.S. POLICY MAKERS
United Methodists and allies are contacting U.S. government leaders throughout the year with timely, coordinated messages, and supporting vital Congressional briefings that are well attended by key congressional staffers. You can join these united actions when yousubscribe to our news & action.
LEARN AND EDUCATE
Learn more about the occupation and why we should take action
to help end it:
• See the Kairos Palestine document, Palestinian Christians' statement of faith and hope and call to action.
• Check out "Understanding the Conflict" and click on the questions you want answers to.
• Watch engrossing and informative video clips from the class "Steadfast Hope."
Help others you know to learn in your congregation or organization:
• Encourage your church group to read and discuss the Kairos Palestine Document, using one of the excellent study guides.
• Another great resource for study and discussion is the booklet
"Is Israel an Apartheid State?" - a groundbreaking report that provides an excellent overview of the Israeli occupation.
• See more educational resources at our Education home page.
ORGANIZE AN EVENT
• A good way to learn and help others to learn is to show a film about Israel/Palestine - there are some great selections in this catalog (see it in black and white also). Follow up your presentation with a discussion.
• Contact UMKR about bringing a knowledgeable and experienced speaker to your church or group.
• For a really special evening, maybe you would like to serve a Middle Eastern meal before the main event. Get more ideas for event planning here.
There is nothing like seeing it for yourself, to understand what is really happening in the Holy Land and the urgent need to answer the call from our fellow Christians there. Be sure to spend some quality time with the "living stones" - the people of the land. Combine your fact-finding visit with a tour of the ancient biblical sites and you will experience the trip of a lifetime. When you come home, be sure to share with others what you learned about current facts on the ground in Israel/Palestine, and contact us for ways you can work for a just peace for all the people of this remarkable land. Find recommended tour organizers in our Tourism section.
Subscribe to UMKR news & action emails of course, but you will find it helpful to subscribe to a regular source of news on current events regarding Israel/Palestine. The mainstream media will not bring you the news of what is really happening there. the Foundation for Middle East Peace (FMEP) offers a good roundup of recent news on Israel/Palestine from many sources - see the FMEP roundups here, and see the button at the top of the page to Subscribe.
For more in-depth coverage, check out Mondoweiss and the Electronic Intifada, both of which offer a daily email service with short summaries of their latest news items. See other useful websites on the back page of this catalog.
(These suggestions are provided for your convenience and do not imply that these sources reflect the views and policies of UMKR.)
SPREAD THE WORD
Don't be shy about sharing what you have learned about Israel/Palestine! Talk with friends, family, members of your church and your community. That is the way our church and our societies wherever we may live will begin to understand the need for change and support it. You don't have to be an expert or have all the answers. Refer them to useful websites for more answers and contact us whenever you need us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Like us on Facebook
Our posts feature important current
news and action for justice advocates. After you "Like" us, select
FOLLOW to be notified of new posts.
Copyright © United Methodists for Kairos Response. All rights reserved.
Since Dec. 2016, UMKR has had a (slightly) new
name: United Methodists for Kairos Response.
Giving Changes the World
With limited resources, UMKR has
had a remarkable impact in the global United Methodist Church! Historic divestment and boycott actions could not have happened without the vital support of those who believe in the cause of Palestinian rights. Please give whatever you can today, so that our work can continue. And rest assured that every donation, large or small,
helps the cause!
Follow us on Twitter
See the weekly alerts and news that activists are talking about.
Sign up for news
UMKR emails bring you NEWS about current justice work, ACTION ALERTS, and RESOURCES for learning and action. Try it - you can Unsubscribe
any time! About one per month.
CONNECT WITH UMKR