SIGN UP for news & action
UMKR emails bring you news about current justice work, action alerts, and great resources for learning and action. One or two emails per month. Try it - you can Unsubscribe any time!
Congressional Briefing on Wadi Foquin - December 15, 2012
Simple Do's and Don'ts for Holiday Shopping - December 7, 2012
15,000 Signatures! Your Comment Needed - November 29, 2012
Support 15 Leaders' Letter to Congress - October 29, 2012
Stand with 15 Courageous Leaders! - October 27, 2012
End Discrimination against Palestinian-Americans - June 19, 2012
The Win We Didn't Expect - May 10, 2012
UMKR Responds to General Conference Vote - May 2, 2012
Tutu Writes to UM Delegates in Tampa Bay Times- May 1, 2012
Delegate Invitation GC 2012: Divestment Q&A - April 30, 2012
Delegate Invitation GC 2012: Meet Indigenous Palestinian Christians - April 27, 2012
"60 Minutes" report on Christians in Holy Land - April 24, 2012
Delegate invitation GC 2012: Free Lunch with Palestinian and Israeli - April 23, 2012
Rabbis Supports UM Divestment - April 5, 2012
- December 31, 2011
Kairos Palestine Turns Two - December 14, 2011
From UM Reporter: An Unusual Advocate - December 2, 2011
UMKR Pledge Request, November 2011 - December 1, 2011
Special Event in Chicago / Brian Baird - September 20, 2011
Dec. 2016 – Please note that newsletters and actions alerts prior to this month refer to UMKR by our former name. Our current name is: United Methodists for Kairos Response.
News & Analysis UMKR News & Alerts
Copyright © United Methodists for Kairos Response. All rights reserved.
Support the work of UMKR
With limited resources, UMKR has made a remarkable impact in the UMC. But this vital peace and justice work can only continue with the support of those who believe in it. Gifts of any size WILL make a difference! Click the button to see how you can donate securely online or by mail.
Dec. 2016 – UMKR has a (slightly) new name: United Methodists for Kairos Response
UMKR on Facebook
UMKR on Twitter
Giving changes everything
See UMKR's Press Releases and Statements here:
See UMKR's Action Alerts here:
See Articles by UMKR Leaders and Members
Time to Break the Silence on Palestine
The New York Times, Michelle Alexander
Author of the ground-breaking book "The New Jim Crow" compares Martin Luther King's controversial opposition to the Vietnam War to the current issues surrounding support for Palestinian rights, especially when leaders of color take a stand. Highlighting the United Methodist Church's divestment from Israeli banks in 2016, Alexander identifies Palestinian rights as a cause she cannot ignore in 2019.
January 2019 – Read the editorial
See also the UMKR article: African Americans Show How Palestinian Solidarity Is Done
2018 Year in Review: PART ONE - UMKR & Partners News
The first part of our annual "mega edition" of The Response includes a full review of UMKR activities in the previous year, a selection of the biggest news from faith communities and other partners, and our top picks of 2018 resources.
January 2019 - Read this newsletter in your browser
Download a pdf file of this newsletter (15 MB)
Unite to Protect Americans' Right to Boycott
Fifteen faith organizations have issued a statement condemning the current bill in the Senate
that would support state legislation penalizing those who support a boycott targeting Israeli
human rights abuses. They call on all Americans to contact legislators and urge them
to oppose such legislation.
January 2019 –See the statement
UMKR & LYNC: We Are Stronger Together
UMKR has taken an important step in the vital work of intersectional justice by joining the Love Your Neighbor Coalition (LYNC) in the United Methodist Church.
October 2018 – Read more about this action
Seminal Conference of 2018 Makes Clear: The Future of Justice Activism Is Intersectional
The September USCPR national conference, Together We Rise, brought together the most diverse lineup of presenters yet seen in the movement for Palestinian rights, put remarkable women in the limelight, and unmistakably set the intersectional path for the movement's future.
October 2018 – Read the report
FOSNA Conference Empowers Faith-Based Organizing
FOSNA’s gathering in St Paul MN just before the national USCPR conference brought together over 100 leaders and activists from across the United States who, along with a racially diverse lineup of presenters, came together to explore how to strengthen local and national organizing for Palestine, with an appropriate and strong focus on church activism.
October 2018 – Read the report
Reaching Evangelical Christians in the Bible Belt
UMKR provided multi-faceted support for the first-ever Christ at the Checkpoint conference in the United States, which featured an impressive lineup of speakers from Palestine and across the U.S. and, like similar conferences in Bethlehem, focused on reaching evangelical Christians and refuting the theology of Christian Zionism.
October 2018 – Read the report
LYNC Convo Includes Call to Palestinian Solidarity
The national gathering of the Love Your Neighbor Coalition focused strongly on the upcoming 2019 Special General Conference, with diverse views of the proposed plans for the future of the UMC. The two dozen workshops included "Why We Should Be in Solidarity with Palestinian Christians" presented by Giselle Lawn, former RMN board member and Rev. John Wagner, Co-chair of UMKR.
August 2018 – Read the report
2018 Resolutions Focus on Palestinian Children
Among the eleven Palestine-related resolutions adopted in annual conference this year, eight addressed the human rights of Palestinian children and their abuse in Israeli military detention.
July 2018 – Read the report
8000 Bold Women and UMKR is there
UMKR outreach at United Methodist Women Assembly 2018.
May 2018 – Read the report
The UMKR Response - December 2017:
Special edition: Wrapping a packed year and including several Calls to Action!
• Jerusalem Must Be Shared
• Justice for Palestinian Children
• Protecting the Right to Boycott
• The HP Boycott Campaign, including FOSNA's HP-Free Churches Campaign
• United Methodists Adopt 23 Resolutions on Israel/Palestine
• Dec 16: Celebrate Christmas with the People of Bethlehem
• Kairos Palestine's Christmas 2017 Study
• Time to Start Planning Your 2018 Trip
IN AND FROM THE UMKR NETWORK:
• Am I "all in"? Report on 2017 JVP National Meeting - Paula Roderick
• Letter to UK Prime Minister, re Balfour Declaration - Rev. Alex Awad
• We are in this together: report on Black-Palestinian Solidarity Conference - Judith Polson
• 10 Weeks in Palestine: summer 2017 blog by UMC seminary student - J.R. Atkins
• Naim Ateek Tour, Fall 2017 - reports on three events co-organized by United Methodists, in Des Moines, IA, Portland, OR, and Claremont, CA.
• The Case for US Sanctions on Israel - UMKR Steering Committee member Theresa Basile participates in panel presentation in Los Angeles
• Applauding Our Colleague - UMKR Steering Committee member Gloria Brown's published book: Through It All: A Compilation of Short Stories Based on Lived Experiences
The UMKR Response - March 2017
• UMKR Calls for Boycott of HP Products
• 6 UMKR resolutions for 2017
• 12 Missionaries Write to Trump
• "What Would They Say Now?" FOSNA’s Lenten study for 2017
• 7 Recommended Trips for 2017 • Meet UMKR's Co-Chairs
• Palestinian Pastor writes Open Letter to UK Prime Minister
• United Methodists Join in Briefing Paper to Trump and Congress
• Video: “In Their Own Words: Palestinians Champion BDS”
• WCC General Secretary meets with Palestinian President
• Leaders of US Campaign visit US/Mexico Border
• Ecumenical Advocacy Days 2017
• 10th Sabeel International Conference - Livestream
• "Obliterated Families": Schedule screenings, presentations, and/or exhibits
• "Junction 48": Schedule a film screening.
Newsletter, Answering the Call- December 2015
Newsletter, Answering the Call - November 2015
Newsletter, Answering the Call- October 2015
Newsletter, Answering the Call - September 2015
Newsletter, Answering the Call - July 2015 Read and download the July 2015 newsletter in pdf format »
Your Action Needed for Palestinian Children (Ask Congress to sign McCollum Letter) - June10, 2015
Support Iran negotiations, Help Yarmouk Refugees - April 11, 2015
"Gaza is on the verge of collapsing" (U.S. Aid to Palestine; Release Palestinian Taxes) - February 17, 2015
Tell your members of Congress: UMC opposes settlements -
January 17, 2015
"Event of the Quadrennium" is coming soon! - May 2014
The time has come! Registration opens for 2 Israel/Palestine Events - March 31, 2014
CORRECTION for Feb 1st email - February 3, 2014
Two actions that will help: Wadi Foquin Congressional Briefing; SodaStream Twitter Campaign - February 1, 2014
Action for Superbowl, SodaStream Ad - January 31, 2013